Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
Bariatric (Anti-obesity) Surgery
This involves the removal of almost 75% of the stomach and leaving behind 25% of the stomach as a tube. The procedure is carried out Laparoscopically ie. using very small incisions and minimally invasive techniques. This results in small incisions and early recovery from surgery.
The small capacity of the residual stomach results in early satiety and low food intake.
In addition the portion of stomach that has been removed contains Gherlin secreting cells.
Gherlin is a hormone that stimulates appetite. Its removal leads to decrease in appetite and thus less intake of food and weight loss.
Initially, this procedure was used as a first step in treatment for super-obese patients. However, studies have shown it to be very effective as a stand alone procedure.
Almost 40% to 60 % of excess weight is lost by this method in one year.